Thursday, May 28, 2009

Unscrupulous Robbery of Another's Effort & Hard Work

On a very serious note... because I've witnessed it with my own eyes...

I am shocked, AND I MEAN SHOCKED, at the people out there that will take someone else's printed (electronic or hard copy) design and pattern – copyrighted, make it (crochet it in this case) and call it their own design and pattern! I actually saw a crocheted item in a web shop, created by a very well known designer, that the shop owner claimed was their own... Outrageous!!! You will NOT find that at Runway Crochet. I will give the credit to the designer, name of book and pattern title in my description! Wow! I guess these folks don't have a conscience or they have NO SENSE at all! This is NOT okay! This is NEVER okay! Why are people this unscrupulous?!!! This works just like redistribution of someone else's money!!! Ack!!!

6 comments:

Pixie Wildflower said...

That is terrible. In the art world, it happens all too often.

karen.hargis said...

If a pattern is copyright protected, why is there no legal action that can be taken to stop the offender?? I've seen this issue on many crochet and craft websites. I would think if someone has a copyright, the owner of the copyright should be able to stop others from taking credit for their creations!

Runway Crochet said...

I agree with Karen's comment. However, the copyright owner would have to police the entire web. Would they even want to? No, it's a growing lack of morals and doing the wrong thing vs. the "right thing!" It's easier to cheat someone else out of their hard work and call it your own, than to work as hard at something to be able to rightfully call it your own!

karen.hargis said...

It's just a sad situation when someone works so hard, only to find someone has stolen their ideas!!

✄ ✂ ✄ ✂ ✄ ✂ said...

Ugh. Unfortunately, it happens all the time, in all sorts of mediums. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Jewels said...

I've seen it so much in the bead world too.
I've noticed it when I teach. Students always come back with near replicas of your work. That's why now, I don't mind sharing technique, but I keep my patterns to myself... It's better that way actually, as then the student gets to develop their own style.

I can also add that I've been deeply inspired by others' work, but I'd never duplicate someone else's work outright, and then call it mine. That's just wrong.