Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Baby Shoe Winner & Runner-Ups

The prize was 10 pairs of baby shoes... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=91034&id=94037758826

The challenge was to tell me in 100 words or less "why I love handmade..."

The winner (chosen by an objective 3rd party) is Heather of Dalkullan Jewelry... Here's why she was selected...

"I love handmade because it's something made with care and thought, by someone who enjoys what they're doing. A factory made article is just a cookie cutter assembly line thing, with no individuality or uniqueness.

Having worked in a factory, I know firsthand just how it feels to do the same repetitive task over and over again. You start to feel like a machine. But handcrafted things are an expression of individuality and creativity, both by the maker and the person who receives the article.

I'd like to win the 10 pairs of baby shoes for my dear son Sean and his lovely wife Laura, who are expecting their first child this August."

These are all of Heather's links. Please join her on Facebook as a fan, follow her on Twitter. Most of all, visit her Etsy shop for some gorgeous fantastic handmade jewelry you'll surely want to wear!

Facebook business fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dalkullan-Jewelry/71569496575

Etsy shop: http://www.DalkullanJewelry.etsy.com

Blog: http://www.DalkullanJewelry.blogspot.com

Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/DalkullanJewel


A little background on Heather...

"I've been interested in making things with my hands since I was a little girl. My dear Aunt Hildur, who ran the Dalkullan Swedish Import Store in Chicago, for which my little Dalkullan Jewelry is named, taught me to knit, crochet and do needlework when I was a little girl. After she passed away, I found the first piece of embroidery I ever did, a little blue bird sewn on card stock with sewing thread, in her jewelry box.

My dear Mother taught me to sew, and I made many of my own clothes in high school. Although I majored in physics, I also took classes in art at college, and worked in oils, acrylics, and watercolors. Later I took up woodworking, and then wood carving. Finally I discovered the thing I like best, making jewelry. So many things to learn, so many techniques, and of course, working with beautiful beads, gemstones, and shaping and soldering metals. Not to mention having fun with a torch and hammer. And in the end, you have a new piece of jewelry! How great is that?"
There are also three runner-ups for the baby shoes...

They are... with their comments to follow...

Joanna Brady-Head
"One reason i love crocheted baby items is the tactile pleasure of good yarn... so soft... like a hug. Another reason that i love crocheted baby items is because i love that "personal" touch! i know that crochet means "Handmade -- made by actual hands!" And to me, handmade means a lot of love goes into it... what more could you want surrounding a baby?"

Susan Logsdon
"My daughter is expecting my first grandchild this December -- these would be SO cute! she is one of 5 -- count them - FIVE - women I know who are expecting between Oct and Dec '09! Sure would save my fingers/wrists to win these! (they are all so cute but those little boots are TOO cute!)"

Christi Spangler
"Hi! I crochet too (I make reusable tote bags) and I love crocheted items and any handmade items. My son is having his first child in December and I would love to have my first granddaughter in a pair of soft pretty handmade baby shoes. Thanks for having the contest!
There were more comments that were great! Visit http://www.facebook.com/pages/Runway-Crochetcrocheted-wearables-for-women-crafts-and-vintage-items/94037758826 to read more. CONGRATULATIONS, LADIES! I look forward to getting to know you a little bit better.

4 comments:

Fiber Deviant said...

i am so happy to be chosen as one of the runner ups in the crochet baby shoes contest!

my oldest son & his wife are expecting their first baby (and my first grandchild) in february - and i think these will be a wonderful gift!

i also crochet- mostly freeform wallhangings & purses... but am tackling some baby items now!

joanna
blog: www.fiberdeviant.blogspot.com
twitter: www.twitter.com/fiberdeviant
ravelry id: FiberDeviant

Runway Crochet said...

You are AWESOME Joanna! I signed up to follow your blog. We don't live far from each other! We should try to get together some time!

DalkullanJewelry said...

Thanks so much for your contest, and for the 10 pairs of baby shoes for my wonderful son and my dear daughter-in-law. Their new little one will be stylin' for sure thanks to your lovely shoes, Vic.

Thanks so much for the awesome things you wrote, you are so kind!
Heather

DalkullanJewelry said...

Just blogged about you sweetie! Hope you'll like it.

http://www.DalkullanJewelry.blogspot.com