Sunday, January 17, 2010

The SPIRIT of LinkLove



People have been letting fans post to their wall and leave their fan page links for a long time and you can look at that as a kind of link love. But never has it ever been more successful than now! You can grow your fans and followers faster than you can imagine! It just works because folks have to fan your page to post their links and get to the other links, so they can fan/follow/add there, too - which gets them more fans/follows/adds! Plus... you will discover some amazing artisans, crafters and Facebook friends while doing it! I just could NOT do without some of these wonderfully talented, totally caring and helpful people!

I have to tell you that Deb A. Hall with Zur Designs had an absolutely brilliant idea when she thought of adding a place for everyone's links on her fan page discussion board! You see, posts to the WALL eventually get lost as more posts get placed and most folks aren't going to take the time to search older posts for your links. A click on the "Discussion" tab and another click on the appropriate topic to post the appropriate link, and you can post your fan page, Twitter, Blog, Esty, Artfire, Website, etc., links so everyone can find you and fan/follow/add/bookmark your links! Right now, it's the best way to FULLY connect to like-minded people.

Ahh! But I need to tell you about the SPIRIT of "Link Love!" Most of us don't have some kind of magical ability to increase our fans and followers on our own. I asked my fans to tell me in their own words to define the spirit of "Link Love." I wanted to know what they think it is! NOT what they think of it but, what they think the spirit is all about! How they "work it" etc. Are they fanning/following/adding folks or are they waiting for it to happen to them, first? Do they fan/follow/add back? Do they post links on a page's discussion board and fan/follow/add all there? Or, do they just post their links? These are the comments I received...

Terri Riley: To me, "Link Love" is a terrific way to network with other people who love handmade items (over big box:) AND to fan/follow as many of those shops as I can. The rewards will eventually follow because if you help others get what they want/need it will come back to ya!

Hazel Wollbrinck: I am posting links, fanning, following and adding all that are there :) It's really fun looking at all the different shop's. You find thing's you didn't even know were out there :)

Pamela Duthie: Its a great way to let my existing fans promo themselves to all my other fans, a great way to find new shops and get new fans (who hopefully like my work) I fan everyone on my page then when I have time pick someone elses page and fan all their fans.

Paula Miotello: Its a lovely way of helping someone else along your way and vice versa....you find some amazing sites with exquisite work that you would not normally see and hopefully make some fun friends with likeminded interests...everyone wins!

Kris Whitman: It is networking with "Like minded people". I love it because how many times in our lives do we find or meet up with people who think like we do? I have yet to meet anyone on here that is not gracious, complimenting and genuine.

Jennifer Olive Coleman: It's a great way to spread the word about many shops and get them more exposure. After I fan a new page, I check for their discussions tab and follow the links there, found so many wonderful artisans!

Maria Cook: It's a way for us to 'support' one another and it makes us feel good to help others. Love everyone's 'comments'.

Elfie Morgan: In the short time since the LINK-LOVE caught on, I've had the great privilege of meeting so many wonderfully talented artisans that I doubt I would have found on my own. I am in awe of some of the gorgeous creations I've seen and I am very excited about networking with such supportive, kind and uplifting people. I have fanned all those on my Discussions board and many, many other boards too :) LINK-LOVE is a win-win situation and I truly believe we will all have a great year ♥♥♥

Meredith Laskow: I love it because it's completely non-competitive. Everyone supports everyone else, including people we might not otherwise meet. I've seen some GREAT shops!!! I take the slow road. I visit every shop and every blog. I don't have a blog but have visited all of yours. (I'm still not on Twitter.) Unfortunately, I haven't had a block of time to seek out new people, but I try to fan everyone who visits me within 24 hours and post on their discussion board....

Janet O'brien: It's name says it all! it is a Link of Love, we are all linked through our creativity, our passion for the things we make, our interests in others ideas etc..supporting one another and sharing is what is all about! Make new friends and having fun! Thanks for all those who are on board and the ones who don't, what are you waiting for!

I couldn't put it any better myself! =) Great comments from some really GREAT "Link Lovin' gals!!! =)

The fine folks who are participating in this "Link Love" REVOLUTION have a place, in their "Discussions" for folks to post their links. Most of us are also keeping a "List" of other fan pages who are participants and that list is still growing! So while you're at some one's page posting your links and fanning/following/adding all the links that are there, you click on the list which will take you to more pages for more of the same!

To be totally honest, "Link Love" does take some time and work on your part. It's NOT a free handout and a way for you to gain fans and followers without reciprocating the SPIRIT of "Link Love" to others! If your numbers are low, GET BUSY fanning/following/adding others' links in addition to posting yours on their page. And PLEASE, FULLY connect to people fan/follow/add ALL their links because you MISS out on so much if you DON'T! Remember folks can "un-fan, un-follow and un-add" you just as easily as they connected to you in the first place!

A little "Link Love" advice...

1. Always return the fan to those who have fanned you and fully connect to all of their links! If you are a "Link Love" participant page, return the fans/follows/adds of new posts as soon as you can and REMIND your fans to come back and fan/follow/add the NEW POSTS. This is SO very IMPORTANT for newbies trying to grow their numbers!!!

2. Get to those other pages on the "Lovin List"!!! Don't be overwhelmed!!! Take ONE link at a time on ONE page at a time as you have time! If you get in a hurry, NOT ONLY will FB lock you out from posting but MORE IMPORTANTLY... you'll miss a link that could make a big difference in some one's online presence and yours!!!

3. READ, READ, READ!!! Please read the "Topic" under folks' "Discussion" tabs!!! Some pages have ONE place to post your links. Others have a topic for each link. When you get in a hurry and DON'T READ, you end up posting in the WRONG Topic and your link/links get lost!

4. Most importantly... HAVE FUN WITH IT!!! There are so many talented folks out there with so many beautiful items and/or GREAT pages that you would NEVER discover on your own! Think of it as an ADVENTURE!!!

5. There will always be the person out for gain and NOT in the SPIRIT of "Link Love." They may fan you, just to get fanned back and just to get access to your fans, the "Lovin List," etc. Let's NOT punish the many for the crimes of the few!!! Although it can be very, very discouraging, DON"T let these people get you down! There are way too many good people who ARE in the SPIRIT to help you do exactly what "Link Love" was done to do!

I hope this sums up the SPIRIT of "Link Love" and tells you what you need to know! There are a bunch of us "Link Love" participants who will help you all we can and we're happy to do so! We've been there! So GET BUSY!!!

One last thing... I WANT TO KNOW WHEN YOU HIT A BENCHMARK OF 100, 200, 300, etc., fans/followers, etc.! So please post it to my fan page WALL and we'll throw a PARTY for you with lots of cheers to your accomplishment because you've worked so hard for it!!!

Lovin' the "Link Love" for all that is and could be!

http://www.facebook.com/runwaycrochet.fans

35 comments:

dora said...

Link Love is "WORK" girl! It's been alot of fun too, meeting some wonderful fellow artists/artisans.
Thanks for the fun. Looking forward to the party! lol

Runway Crochet said...

From our lovely, Elfie:

Perfectly said and thanks to all the participants in the LINK-LOVE network and for helping, supporting and encouraging each other. Wishing the very best to each and every one of you ♥ from Elfie Morgan at:
http://www.facebook.com/paintingfromtheheart

Lajoni said...

I am heading towards the 200 mark :) but I can't stress enough how you must put the work in...It can be confusing , unless thats only me as I forget whether I have fanned or not but soon get into my stride again but it is certainly worth the work and I have seen some absolutely awesome talent out there that I will definitely be calling on for birthdats etc x

Jenni said...

It has been wonderful to get to know other artists and view their work..LinkLove is a lot of work but the results....are worth it!

Rowena said...

Working towards 200 - gotta pace myself with all those links or I get confused!!!! So enjoying doing a little shopping along the way - there are some amazing crafters out there that I would not have found without link-love. Also looking forward to linking up for discussions with some of these on best marketing strategies, cross marketing etc etc. Thanks everyone and you Runway Crochet :)

Hurricane Pottery said...

As always I enjoy reading what you post and appreciate the time and effort you put into helping others!

PaperOnParade said...

It works! And meeting some many talented people is the icing on the cake! The good out weights the bad here!!! I agree, ladies it is work that is well worth it! I still get lost in fanning/following soooo many great shops...but Runway said it well, take it slow;) Congrats to all who have made this a wonderful networking tool!!!!!!

Anna Kay Creations said...

What an awesome adventure "Link Love" is. I'm enjoying meeting new fans/ artists and checking out all these wonderful shops. Very supportive network. Very soon I'll be heading towards the 500 benchmark. It works and continues to "ROCK"!! Best wishes to all and many more years to come!!

http://www.facebook.com/annakaycreations

Runway Crochet said...

Thank you all for your comments! Thanks to everyone who contributed to the content as well! =)

Charlene said...

I think it's a great idea, and I'm happy to be a part of the link lovin'

Crystal from KIZZ said...

just doin the best I can. 8)

Michele said...

You ROCK "LINK LOVE" Queen!

Christi said...

Great post Vic! I love it and I love Link Love too. Your right there are so many wonderful crafts people out there to discover. I can't spend a lot of time on each on of my new "fanned" sites, but I try to take a look through their photo albums and see the creativity!

It's fun to find someone to feature on your own page from time to time too! That way you share with your fans a great find that you've made and whoever you feature gets some extra exposure. Just make sure your featuring something that you really like and keep it upbeat always!

Runway Crochet said...

Thank you, ladies! Your input and comments are greatly appreciated!

arty said...

Link Love truly is a lot of work but I work my way through to those who have fanned, hearted me etc whenever I have the time.
Link Love is a brilliant idea and as you have stated, it gives us all the opportunity to discover and be discovered and make new friends in the process.
Thanks for the helpful post.
All the best to everyone.

Krafty Max Originals said...

check it out...i have awarded you with the blogger sunshine award... http://tinyurl.com/ykk5ql4

DeeCee said...

Thank you for this explanation of "Link Love". It is truly very time consuming.
I wish I had read this blog before I joined in the fun of Link Love. I have to admit that I started out to be one of the Link Droppers, just dropping my links and running to the next page. That lasted about 2 evenings on the computer. Then someone's comment about my jewelry made me wake up. I realized that I was missing seeing beautiful art work as well as meeting beautiful people. Now I have to look at the photos of each link as well as their shops, web pages and what ever else they post. It takes me at least 5 minutes for each contact and sometimes 20 minutes. It isn't unusual for me to hear the clock chime 2 before I realize, I missed bed time. There is a world of wonderfully talented people out their and "Link Love" makes each and every one of them my neighbor. Seems like sharing the “Spirit” is easier than I thought.

Now to have the time to update my shop, blog, and fan page so others won’t be unhappy when they return and see the same “ole thing”.

debi said...

I have met such nice people thru link love. It is so much fun when we are "talking" to each other! It has turned FB into a true social network. Link love Rocks!! Thank you all so much! debi

mv said...

The Link Love landed on my page 2 days ago, and I've only come to realize what it is tonight - when I saw someone's discussion board with all the lovely links. Such a BRILLIANT idea!
I have now become one of the newest links in this chain of link love by creating a topic too, for other people to be able to discover the beauty of it :) I am glad I found your blog before getting too lost!
I'll be going back to checking out links, fanning, following etc. I've got swirly eyes and it's overwhelming, but I'm having fun nonetheless!
Thank you for spreading the link love!
--Love, mv

Runway Crochet said...

Ladies, thank you so much for your comments and input! I'm grateful to you for taking the time to read it! =)

DeeCee said...

Without this blog post, I would have been totally lost in the mass invasion of all the links, wonderful comments and new friends.
Thank you for taking the time to explain the meaning of Facebook Fan Love. I sugest this be a must read for all Link Love Newbies.
Dee

Serendipity Handmade said...

This is a great idea and I've been participating for the last couple of days! Everyone, please come fan me at http://www.facebook.com/serendipityvintage . You can post your links in my Discussion tab too! And thanks for the link love!

Sarah said...

I've chosen you to receive a Sunshine Blog Award. Pop over to my blog to read more :-) http://buddhistmusicianaccessories.blogspot.com/2010/02/february-is-shaping-up-nicely.html

Debra said...

I loved reading some of the wonderful comments you received about link love...I feel the same way! Love the links!! Follow
http://www.apple-tree-house.blogspot.com for a free gift certifiate ... thanks!

Terrie said...

Thanks so much for your encouragement and support. I love being a part of this wonderful group!

MCatherine Lunsford said...

Link Love is a Labor of Love, for sure and a FABU way to discover the wonderful crafting of other artists/artisans plus create a support group of encouraging and knowledgeable co-hearts!
I send vibes to all in celebration of the Gusto of Creativity!*¨)¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)(¸.•´ (¸*´¨(♥ (¸.•´ (¸.•´♥
I am so jazzed to have 189 fans and look forward when reaching 200 to prepare myself for the Hooplah! Yeah!!! And, when I reach 600 fans, I'll be giving away a Hide a Heart to someone in appreciation to helping me reach that goal!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hide-A-Heart-Fan-Page/297044708667?ref=ts

Saniki Creations said...

Because of your endless effort and commitment with promoting other artists through your blog and link love in Facebook. I would like to award you with the Sunshine Blog Award!

Please see my post for info on how to get the award on your blog!
~Penny
http://www.sanikicreations.blogspot.com

Michele said...

I have something for you on my blog!!

http://michele-byyourside.blogspot.com/

~Michele

Marie@Franciebags said...

Link Love is wonderful. I would have never gotten to 100 fans without it. Meeting such nice artists. Thanks for the tips. I'm rather new at all of this.

thecrazyoldbaglady said...

Link Love has been so much fun, it is truly amazing how many people are getting connected with each other.
Link Lovers Unite!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goody Goody Tutus said...

Hello! Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Sunshine Award. Stop by my blog to get your icon to post on your blog!
http://goodygoodytutus.blogspot.com/

DeeCee said...

Looks like you got nominated twice, Vickey. You are loved indeed.
Please visit my blog. I have something for you. Hugs.
Dolcie
http://deecee1.blogspot.com

thewades08 said...

I am right there with everyone else I love the Link Love. I agree with Dora it is work, but I am willing to do the work to get the results that I am. I hope that now we can get this same thing going for all of our blogs. I think it helps all of us to become independent in our own work and to showcase our talents to others that might not see us. Thanks to all of you for all the Link love to me. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oh-Craft-it-all/112367448787204?v=wall

http://mybugaloo.wordpress.com/

I am going to subscribe and follow you love your posts.

compost said...

Awesome!!! Love you Runway Crochet! You are the Mama of Link Love.

Jackie at 3littleones said...

thanks for the post!! This is such a great idea and I'm joining in :)